Monday, January 15, 2018

Mixed Media Valentine's Card


Hello and a Happy Monday to You!!!  Yes, Mondays can be happy... if we let them be :-)  

It's Wanda (Art By Wanda) here today to share a Valentine's mixed media card using products from Suzanne's A Way With Words line from Elizabeth Craft Designs.  

I started with a 5" square of watercolor paper adding Grit-Paste through the hearts of the Hearts & Paw Prints Sprays Stencil in 3 lines flipping the stencil for the center line so the hearts sit together better.


Once the paste was dry I added color with Distress Spray Stains.  The Brushed Pewter was dripped on instead of being sprayed on.  I was heavy handed when spraying the Tattered Rose and Picket Fence getting puddles of color and allowing colors to blend and run and then dried it with a heat tool.


I deepened the color around the edges with Distress Ink Fired Brick.


Next I added embossing around the edge with Fran-tage Powder.  I rubbed an embossing ink pad on the edge, added the powder and heated.  When the edges were done I added some random spots/piles of powder on the card and heated it from underneath so I didn't blow the powder around.  I love these spots as you can really see the different grains in the powder.


"love you" (Love & Hearts Collection) is stamped on white cardstock with Archival Ink Jet Black.  I then drew a heart around the words, cut it out and added embossing.  Since I loved those spots of embossing on the card so much, I put more powder on the edges of the heart and heated it from the bottom.  I did get a few specks in the center but thought it looked fine for the card.


Gold mesh ribbon and cheesecloth start my grouping.



"love" from the Baby Love cutting die set was cut from red cardstock.


I made the Garden Notes Rose 2 flower for my card.  There is a video on the Elizabeth Craft Designs You Tube channel for this flower Here.  I used green cardstock for the stem, cutting 2 to layer.  Shading was done with Distress Ink Peeled Paint and Highlights with Pan Pastel Bright Yellow Green.  The pieces for the rose and rosebud were cut from White Soft Finish Cardstock.  I inked the edges with Distress Ink Worn Lipstick.  For the rose I punched a small circle and built my flower on that because once it was built I sprayed it and the pieces for the bud with Ranger Mica Spray Pearl.  This way I could spray the rose without spraying everything else.  I attached the stem to the card, glued on the rose and built the bud right on the card. 



The love you heart was attached with foam tape.  I also added some wet glue onto the tape so it would press through the cloth and ribbon giving a good bond to the card.

The red hearts are Tim Holtz Idea-ology Mirrored Hearts colored with Red Pepper Alcohol Ink.


In this picture you can see the shimmer from the Mica Spray on the rose.  I also added some dots of Nuvo Glitter Drops Honey Gold onto the card.  You can see a couple in this picture.


I'm very pleased with how this card came out!!!  I hope you are too!!

Thanks for following along and, please, if you have time, leave us a comment.

Hugs, Wanda




6 comments:

Let's Art Journal said...

Wow, what a beautiful Valentine's card! I loved seeing how your created it too and the Grit Paste and embossing powders looks stunning with all the fabulous layers that you created - amazing 😁. Have a great new week! J 😊

Quietfire said...

Wow, Wanda! What a great card! Thanks for showing us how to do the background! I really need to come play with you to make lots of backgrounds!

Art By Wanda said...

Thanks so much, Jo!!! And also for the comment on my blog!!!

Art By Wanda said...

Thank you, Suzanne!!! That would be so much fun!!!!

Marjorie DUMONTIER said...

Oh my goodness ! This is such a wonderful card ! I love the embossed background so much !
[margessw(at)icloud(dot)com]

Art By Wanda said...

thanks so much, Marjorie!!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...